[MUD-Dev] [NEWS] Gaming Open Market

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jun 23 16:31:47 CEST 2004

From:  Matt Mihaly

> Seemingly growing site? Maybe they were growing, but they said
> that $3000 wiped out almost all their profits since January. They
> weren't exactly big players.

I don't see how you can assume that without knowing their
turnover. They could just be incredibly unprofitable due to low
margins or high costs.

> This has nothing to do with the actual market and everything to do
> with the fact that they ignored an obvious, huge risk and had no
> plan to mitigate that risk. It also really involves Paypal only by
> coincidence.  Their fate would have been the same using a normal
> merchant account.

Do merchant accounts let people DK a credit card transaction as
easily? I'd be surprised if the guy could get away with this fraud
anyway, he seems to have been unrelentingly stupid bragging about it
and telling them his modus operanti. I thought only bad guys in
movies were that dumb?

Dan