[MUD-Dev] [NEWS] Warhammer Online Cancelled -- Why?

Luca Girardo girardo at ieee.org
Thu Jun 24 12:40:38 CEST 2004

<EdNote: Strange quoting fixed.  Errors are mine.>

"David Kennerly"  wrote:

> Their one-sided mention of projection of costs leaves it up to the
> reader to assume a not so hot projection of revenues.

Among many different other articles there was a comment from Climax
about the closure on Gamespot:

  http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/22/news_6101092.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news

  ...Following yesterday's shock cancellation of Warhammer Online,
  Climax has today issued a statement explaining why the decision
  was made and addressing the future of the company's Nottingham
  studio, where the game had been in development for more than two
  years. "It was a deeply sad thing for us to have to do after so
  much hard work and commitment from the entire team, but the costs
  involved in bringing the Warhammer massively multiplayer online
  game to market meant that we were left with little choice,"
  offered Karl Jeffery, CEO at Climax. "With new MMOGs, such as Star
  Wars Galaxies, costing up to $30 million to launch, this is now a
  very high-stakes business.

I was pretty surprised by the launch figure for SWG (till now rumors
were indicating around $20 million budget) and by the fact that
Climax seemed to target the same investment volume for Warhammer
Online.  I suppose Climax decision make sense if that was their
current budget plan for Warhammer as the chances they would get a
ROI for such an investment would be very low.

Luca