[MUD-Dev] Exponential experience points and levels

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Tue Jun 29 11:25:35 CEST 2004

ceo wrote:

> I fancy playing a game where you get exponentially more exp per
> situation the more you are (statistically) outgunned. Is anyone
> running one? :).

This is something I've been wondering about recently too - it seems
in most MMOG's, you can get better xp from quickly ripping through a
lot of lower level mobs, than spending maybe twice as much time to
get half-as-much-again xp (if you're lucky) from higher mobs. And of
course, numbers are important - taking on two mobs is often more
than twice as difficult - though working out what is a parallel
attack and what is serial might be difficult. Maybe just a sliding
scale based on difference in time between end of one and start of
next combat.

> There's no reason why it should be limited to battles - I've
> played about with roguelike games in the past where I awarded
> bonus exp for each turn the player managed to survive in a
> dangerous area (e.g. compare player hp and stats to the average
> for wandering monsters in that area, and when the player is
> sufficiently below par to be in serious danger start adding bonus
> exp simply for staying alive), which enables you to play an
> exploration game without *ever* fighting, but still going up in
> levels.

A very, very good idea. Taking, as an example, AO - which has a
number of "exploration" skills, such as swimming, etc. Which, are,
for the most part, completely pointless. Being rewarded for getting
(and surviving in) difficult situations would be an excellent
idea. And they don't have to be dangerous because of mobs -
environmental hazards could also count.

Again it boils down to rewarding people for something other than
killing mobs. Reward a medical character for the amount of healing
they do, reward an adventurer for the situations they can survive
in, reward a spy each time they pass undetected, etc.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"