[MUD-Dev] Exponential experience points and levels

Adam adam at grexengine.com
Wed Jun 30 14:16:15 CEST 2004

Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 11:54, ceo wrote:

>> There's no reason why it should be limited to battles - I've
>> played about with roguelike games in the past where I awarded
>> bonus exp for each turn the player managed to survive in a

> Slightly OT note: this is why I much prefer having different types
> of experience.  Exploration doesn't teach you anything about how

I was just hoping for something simple and fun. If you have a
working system with different experience, I'd happily have a go,
assuming it's not too complex to get to grips with :).

>> If you beat someone of lesser ability, again you get nothing -
>> and may even lose experience ("character grows accustomed to
>> lesser

> That shouldn't work as such.  You can learn a _lot_ by fighting
> someone even far "weaker" than you.  In truth, in many cases where

Not interested in realism. Only interested in enjoyment.

Besides, I think you're missing the point: I want to play a game
where experience is hard to come by *by definition*. Where "level 12
so-and-so" is impressive simply because statistically the only way
they made it to level 12 was by pulling off some impressive feats.

It's a mechanic I'd like to play with, but I was sure that 5 others
must have already done so... :)

Adam M