[MUD-Dev] "USPs" (was: Warhammer Online Cancelled -- Why?)

Threshold RPG business at threshold-rpg.com
Wed Jun 30 22:29:02 CEST 2004

On 28 Jun 2004, at 23:48, Derek Licciardi wrote:

> We market the idea that we can create an environment where being
> held accountable for your online actions truly exists.  The funny
> thing about it is that no one has ever accomplished this in an MMO
> setting.

I assume you mean not many people have accomplished this, rather
than no one has accomplished this.

While it is true that the mega-MMOs are unconcerned with direct
maintenance of their community, there are many games that HAVE in
fact created games where you are truly held accountable for your
online actions.

Threshold has a common law legal system (I was a lawyer before I
started my company 8 years ago) that is exceptionally robust and
definitely results in people being held accountable for their
actions. The legal system has become so detailed that we've
attracted real life attorneys who play the game just to be lawyers
in game and be part of evolving the legal system. They've even
written hornbooks that summarize the state of the law.

A Tale in the Desert has a system of laws where people can actually
be BANISHED from the game, their names can be changed, etc. if
enough people feel it should be so.

I am sure there are many other examples of games where there are
serious game mechanics that result in people being held accountable
for their actions.