[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Mon Mar 15 08:29:36 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 22:23, Jester wrote:

> The only problem (if I understand your definition correctly) is a
> killer who (knowing the system) bashes 95% of the victims
> hit-points out can then breaks off from combat and run off to do
> it to someone else, leaving their victim with possibly a very long
> wait before they are fit to play again (or spending lost of cash
> on potions to get back in the game quickly).

Yes.  I tend to dislike spending lots of time sitting around waiting
to heal, so in general the games I play don't have a long recovery
period. YMMV.

>> The danger potentially introduced is that care needs to be taken
>> in determining the aggressor, or else you introduce a grief
>> whereby K induces V to attack them,

> Others have raised the issue of taunting and it is covered in the
> latest webpage update ( http://www.futuremmorpg.org/capture.asp )

I was referring to potential bugs.  If K is a thief, and attempts to
steal from V, but fails, your game might automatically cause V to
attack K "in self defense."  It should of course note that the
ultimate cause of the combat was K, not V.

  (My current MUD has a few bugs along these lines, which is why I
  mention it. :)

--
bje