[MUD-Dev] TCP/UDP/IP Offload NIC for gamers?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Oct 1 23:58:28 CEST 2004

Harlan Beverly wrote:

> My question for the group is this: what features would be useful
> to gamers/game servers in an ADVANCED NETWORK PROCESSING Network
> Card (NIC)?

> Would TCP/IP Offload be of benefit?  (my thought is not much,
> since most games are UDP)...

> What about a UDP/IP Offload engine?  (for example:) what if all it
> did was hardware support for IP REASSEMBLY?

A modern machine can easily sature a 1Gbps link with UDP traffic,
and even consumer-level NICs can calculate the IP checksum in
hardware, which is the only significant work for UDP.  I can't
imagine that a network processing card could add much to a game
server...

If you're doing high quality encryption on the transport, then maybe
a piece of encryption offload hardware would be useful.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>