[MUD-Dev] TECH: Punkbuster type technology and why we don't see any big name MMOG's using it

David Wright david.a.wright at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 17:40:13 CEST 2004

<EdNote: Considerably edited from original>

What are the current views on using things like punkbusters to
dissuade cheats?

  PunkBuster: http://www.evenbalance.com/

Punkbuster is a licensed anticheating tool that is implented in both
client and server software.  It is currently popular with some
online FPS games.  I'm curious why it hasn't moved into the MUD
space?  Why is it that FPS developers seem to be taking a much
harder stance against cheaters than MMOG developers and producers?
Are there other better tools?  What other technologies are available
to developers that can be used to help curb or prevent cheating, and
make it easier to catch/ban those who do cheat?  Why would a
developer/producer chose NOT to include some kind of anti cheat
technology to protect their worlds?