[MUD-Dev] PvP and teamspeak?

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Sat Oct 16 20:39:59 CEST 2004

szii at sziisoft.com wrote:

> Individual player skill, intelligence and free time are SINGLE
> character traits which have little impact if they're an
> opponent. Relaying troop strengths and positions has a HUGE impact
> on the entire battle and not just a single player/character.

> However, when you start "cheating" (bypassing LoS) with
> VoxComms... well, what's the difference between that and my
> running a packet analyzer on your data stream?  Or breaching your
> servers to acquire that data.  What if I have a faster 'net
> connection than you do, and I syn/ping flood you to slow/kill your
> connection? They're all "out of game advantages" but they're not
> "bullshit distinctions" and each have various levels of
> ramifications, both in-game and out of game.

All I said was that simply because something is a significant
out-of-game advantage has little bearing on whether it should be
'controlled' for or not. Each individual game may have motivations
to control some and not others. Many games (most of the grindy ones
for instance) control for out-of-game player skill and intelligence
by ensuring you don't really need much to play the game. Some games
try to control for out-of-game monetary advantages by banning Ebay
transactions. Others, such as our games and Second Life, welcome
them.  Some text MUDs try to control for auto-responding
clients. Others (such as ours) do not.

Simply being an "out of game advantage" is relatively meaningless
since just about your entire game experience is controlled by out of
game advantages from intelligence to connection speed to whether you
can Ebay successfully (have money) to typing speed, etc.

--matt