[MUD-Dev] OpenTNL and DirectPlay (hardware acceleration)

Brian Hook hook_l at bookofhook.com
Thu Oct 21 17:24:23 CEST 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:15:18 -0700 (PDT), Harlan Beverly wrote:

> As ya'll know, I'm interested in hardware acceleration of
> networking (and some related functions) for purposes of squeezing
> CPU utilization and Network Latency out of online and LAN games.

Harlan: have you actually _measured_ the amount of CPU utilization
that a network stack uses in a typical server environment for games?
Without that, any talk of acceleration is sort of pointless.  As
others have said, it doesn't look like there's much of a gain to be
had with acceleration.

> I've found two standard Gaming network APIs out there: OpenTNL and
> DirectPlay.

FWIW, last I heard DirectPlay had been deprecated and was no longer
considered being pushed by Microsoft.  OpenTNL has some adoption
with open source, but not widespread adoption.  Most people still
roll their own layers or rely on the layers provided by their engine
provider (e.g. Unreal, Quake, etc.).

Brian