R: [MUD-Dev] BIZ: Europe & Distrubution

Valerio Santinelli tanis at altralogica.it
Thu Oct 28 09:31:22 CEST 2004

Johan wrote:

> After reading about Blizzard's (VU?) decision to only allow
> localized server play and a 2-3 month delay for Europe I couldn't
> help to think why no MMORPG, at least to my knowledge, has ever
> been released over the Internet from the start. If any type of
> games could pull this of it would be just MMORPGS.

There already are MMOGs that can be purchased over the internet and
played wherever you are in the world. The first that comes to my
mind is Eve, but I'm sure there are others. Until now, the only real
reasons I've seen for such a behaviour has been of two kinds:

  1) Marketing: someone decided that it would be better to let
  someone who knows the local market handle the business oversea (in
  most cases it's even on a per-country level)

  2) Localization: there still are issues with content. People in
  Italy want to play with the game translated into Italian, which
  means that you have to localize both the game client and all of
  the contents, thus making the localized version incompatible with
  the original English one.

My 0.02?.

Valerio Santinelli