[SPAM] Re: [MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Oct 28 20:11:19 CEST 2004

"Dana V. Baldwin" <dbaldwin at playnet.com> writes:

> not generally, in my experience, hinder any sort of roleplay. As
> noted by others it may hamper deception but that is not a
> requirment of role play in any way. Case in point everyone in my
> voice group

I hate to be pedantic, but isn't all hardcore roleplay deception?
Isn't that the point?  Gee, you make it sound like it was a bad
thing... :) Isn't the deception part of the game and part of the
fun?  Yeah, I realize that certain types of army-roleplay doesn't
really require more than pretending that you are back in the recruit
school...

Maybe we should bring back the distinction between role-playing and
role-acting? Actually, I'd go further and dinstinguish between
role-acting and personality-acting. For me and many other hardcore
roleplayers voice chat is no option. If you really want to
personality-act in a MMO you either have to roleplay both the player
and the character and bring them as close together as possible, or
prevent any information about yourself from spreading. The density
of good roleplayers is generally very low in my experience. (I
wouldn't be surprised if it was less than 1%.)

Then we also have some female and male gamers who don't want to
reveal their real gender for harassment reasons. Isn't it quite
likely that a regular girl with a very cutish voice will get too
much attention if voice chat becomes the de facto communication
channel in virtual worlds?

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/