[MUD-Dev] Cheating in the world

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Oct 28 21:02:51 CEST 2004

"Matt Mihaly" <matt at ironrealms.com> writes:

> I wonder if Christians/Jews/Hindus/Muslims feel that praying to
> their Head Admin means the world has failed?

Mm... Fortunately Head Admin doesn't cut in. :-) The same people
also believe in the Evil powers in the world that try to ruin your
life... So there you go... Yes, you can have the one without the
other, but I am not sure if the analogy is a good one either way.

> Not to me it doesn't. In fact, quite the opposite. AI is
> pathetically incompetent and could never accomplish many of the
> things admins can.  For instance, soft enforcement of PK rules
> (which all of our games use).

But, doesn't that just make the negotiation of the enforcement of
the PK rules a game to play with OOC connotations?

> Further, what about admins that are disguised with a role? All our
> admins play in-role Gods (God of Justice, God of Pancakes and
> Syrup, whatever), for instance.

The overall implications of hardcore roleplaying admins in a RP
environment is a bit difficult to assess for me. It is a different
aesthetical ideal, and I can of course never prove that it will have
a negative affect on the experienced world in general.

However, for many MUDs the admin presence seems to be more an issue
of either covering up deficiencies in the design or just a desire
for personal power ;-).

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/