[MUD-Dev] Cheating in the world

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Oct 28 21:16:42 CEST 2004

Paul Schwanz <pschwanz at comcast.net> writes:

> It seems to me that if cheating isn't possible in a world, then
> neither is roleplay.

Why is that?

> Based on this sort of logic, if you allow roleplay, doesn't that
> also mean that you are allowing a multi-user game?  People do not
> roleplay in worlds, they roleplay in games.

Not in my book. People roleplay in worlds, especially if they find
an audience, and they may play the games of the world if they want
to. Many roleplaying characters never level up at all. Indeed,
roleplayers may choose to go against the intentions of existing
games. E.g. try to get killed in a PvP scenario.

Maybe we use a different definition of "game".

> In a world, you simply are a role, so there is no need to play
> that you are a role.

Hmm... I'd rather say that it is in games you simply have to take
the roles that are available or not play the game at all. It is a
common trait of all kinds of productive groups. People fill in the
available roles.

Depends on what you mean by role, obviously.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/