[MUD-Dev] forced grouping/coop play

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Sep 1 07:08:55 CEST 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Koster, Raph wrote:

> From a design point of view, it is desirable to find ways to
> retain you--and I think that's true for commercial and
> non-commercial games alike, mind you. Free games also should place
> a high premium on player continuity for many many reasons. The
> more isolated you are from the rest of the game, such as sticking
> to a clique, the less likely we are to retain you. That's why
> pushing interaction on players has been such a successful tactic
> for retention, even as it chases away those who lack the time to
> participate.

What about game-independent subscriptions and/or software that
facilitates organizing such groups--like a cross between gamespy and
a private web-forum?  I've been tempted to build something like this
for a community I'm involved with, so I imagine there would be some
interest for such a thing.

Sean