[MUD-Dev] SOC DGN: AC like alligiance system

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Thu Sep 2 10:43:17 CEST 2004

Matthew Rick wrote:

> In Asheron's Call, there was an allegiance system where in vassals
> contributed a small amount of experience to a lord.  Many players
> found this system to be unbalanced in that there was an in game
> mechanic whereby lords benefitted from having vassals, but no
> similar system which gave vassals any concrete in-game benefits.

<snip>

> Some quick notes about things I thought of that would be abusable
> and my ideas for solving them:

>   Problem:

>     If you have a large number of vassals, it doesn't matter how
>     low prestige they are.

>   Solution:

>     Impose a limit on the number of vassals a character may have.

This was my first thought - without this "zerging" becomes a real
problem. An alternative solution would be to add some overhead to
having a vassal, maybe a small wage or upkeep per vassal, which
would make havign a few highly prestigious vassals highly
beneficial.

>   Problem:

>     This would lead to twinking.

>   Solution:

>     Powerful items will / may have either a level or prestige
>     requirement, so low level characters won't be able to use, say
>     Excalibur.

Twinking is a problem in guilds already anyway - I don't see this
sytem making the problem any worse.

>   Problem:

>     This will lead to an old-bies game (no one but veteran players
>     may run for office / vote / get involved in politics).

>   Solution:

>     A)The prestige requirements are customizable by locality.

>     B) This is intentional.

Agreed. This is no more a problem than not being able to participate
in raids at level 1 :P

>   Problem:

>     Vassals could end up being more prestigous than their lord.

>   Solution:

>     I don't view this as a problem (although I suppose it could
>     be).

Can vassals have vassals in turn? Perhaps this could be extended to
a full feudal/house system. Becoming a vassal incorporates you into
that house, however ranking within that house is dependant on your
prestige, and the Lord is automatically the individual with the most
prestige...which would lead to interesting meta-games with prestige
and vassal numbers, as you would be maximising your prestige, while
trying to keep your underlings prestige below yours...

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"