[MUD-Dev] wherefor in-game artists?

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 23:31:35 CEST 2004

Paolo Piselli wrote:

> Many creative types I know that make content for games in their
> own time do so not for the cred it earns them, not for an
> exploraion of what it is possible to express, not to gain freinds
> and interact directly with people, and certainly not to impose
> their will on others.  It strikes me that "creators" are often the
> antithesis of the "killers" in that they are motivated by the
> desire to add something to the game that they think other people
> will enjoy.  The fact that other plaers will enjoy their creation
> makes them happy, even if they do not earn coin for it, make
> friends through it, or discover more about the world from it.

> If it is true that there exists a player type out there that is
> potentially an anti-griefer, I think it would be an important
> inclusion in the EASK characterisation of player types.  Do these
> players appear in the wild, and if not, is it merely because
> mechanics prevent them from engaging in creative pursuits?

Interesting question.

I tend to equate creative work more with explorers than with a new
type, particularly in a game like Second Life where "creation" is
how you explore the boundaries of the game. But this could be
personal. I'm ESA, but consider myself more of a creator (at least
of fiction and events) or roleplayer than an explorer. Most MMOs
don't merit much exploration in terms of mechanics (though the
simplest mechanics are often more fun). Exploring social scenes and
meta-games can hold my interest longer.