[MUD-Dev] Distributed State Systems

Michael Tindal mtindal at paradoxpoint.com
Fri Sep 3 06:54:37 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 01:04 am, Davion Kalhen wrote:
> This is the first time I've posted on MUD-Dev but I've recieved it
> for alittle while now. But why not use a signal handler and use a
> style like Erwin's copyover? I've used it for alittle bit now and it
> works nicely. But mostly your looking at a bad idea. Segment Faults
> occure mostly when data is accessed outta bounds, if by chance you
> happen to try to save that data while the MUD is going down, nothing
> but bad juju there, and you'll wind up with loads of currupt
> data. Like players titles being random ansi characters :P. We don't
> need that!  All and all, I just don't think thier a good idea if its
> because your mud crashes on a regular basis. There's also problems
> with crashing while copyingover, but there's easy fixes for
> that. But think about it, if it could be done, wouldn't Micro$oft do
> it, so Windows never crashes? I don't mean to bash your idea.

Im not saving data from a segfault, the nodes don't hold the data themselves,
which is the point of the post.  Please, read the entire posting before
replying.  I don't need copyover, I've already got that taken care of.  In
case you had read, the data is being stored in an external location, and I
did not mention trying to save the data is the particular node storing the
data segfaulted.  Its meant to alleviate connection loss.

Mike Tindal