[MUD-Dev] wherefor in-game artists?

Paolo Piselli ppiselli at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 04:04:00 CEST 2004

--- "Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk> wrote:

> You may also be able to point at creation as being none of these

This is really the case that I was originally trying to get at.

> things. It could be some kind of artistic journey of
> self-expression that is independent of the virtual world except
> that this is the medium in which the art takes place. In that
> case, I'd say fine,

Self-motivated expression does not cover the behavior that I am
guessing at.  I'm thinking of the weekend blues musician, the street
juggler, the pot-luck chef, the mod developer, the open source
software engineer -- the people who create things out of a
motivation to add to the enjoyment of potentially anonymous people.

I know a number of people who like to create things that other
people will enjoy - artwork, mods for games, free software, food,
etc.  Many of these people also participate in virtual worlds.  Are
there enough potentially-creative people around to form a
significant population?  If so, they should be included in the
understanding of player types, and we should evaluate outlets for
this behavior.

You previously mentioned that as "anti-killers" perhaps they fall
under the same category as killers, but their intention is to impose
themselves in order to make other people happy.  I disagree with
this because the domination behavior of a killer establishes an
ordering based on power: I kill you therefore I have asserted myself
as above you in the hierarchy.  I do not see the sympathetic
creative behavior as establishing an ordering: I help you have fun,
but this says nothing of my power relationship to you.

Just some thoughts.
-Paolo

=====
Paolo Piselli