[MUD-Dev] Cognitively Interesting Combat

ext.Christer.Enfors at tietoenator.com ext.Christer.Enfors at tietoenator.com
Wed Sep 8 13:22:36 CEST 2004

Cruise wrote:

> Well, inspired by the rather extensive discussion recently engaged
> upon in this very list, I decided to attempt some experiments
> implementing the various suggestions and thoughts of members of
> this list:

>   http://www.casual-tempest.net/combat/

I must say, this system is very, very elegant. It also happens to be
very similar to (although simpler than) the system I'm designing for
my MUD :-). I haven't tried it with two human players though, so I
can't comment on that. And then there's the added complexity when
there are more than just two people involved (as in your system), of
course.

In a real-time environment, each "turn" would probably have to be at
least 10 seconds long or so, so you have a chance to ponder your
choice.

I really wish game developers would consider this kind of system
instead of the attrition-based combat systems that Everquest and
many other games use.

--
Christer "Dannil" Enfors