[MUD-Dev] Cognitively Interesting Combat

Richard Woolcock KaVir at t-online.de
Fri Sep 10 01:33:03 CEST 2004

Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net> wrote:

> See the game Spellcast[1] for an attack/counterattack game that
> isn't played blind.  In this game, the two players are duelling
> wizards, who make various hand signals to cast spells.  In each
> round of combat, the wizards make one hand signal each, blind of
> the others' choice.  Spells require sequences of signals to
> complete casting, and so over the course of a few rounds the list
> of possible spells being cast is reduced.  As an added complexity,
> wizards have two hands.  Some signals require the use of both
> hands, some spells can be cast entirely with one hand.

> Richard Bartle should be pretty familiar with it, under the name
> Spellbinder. :)

That's actually the very game which inspired my combat system - I
encountered it under the name 'Firetop Mountain', but hadn't
realised the idea originally came from somewhere else!  I better
update my credits to indicate the original source.

Of course my system isn't quite the same, as it's designed to work
in real-time and doesn't include the same gestures or spells.  But
the basic concept - different combinations of gestures stacking to
result in certain spells - is still the same, eg:

     > rf
     You close your right hand into a fist.
     You feel a surge of heat run through your right arm.

     > rs
     You snap your fingers with your right hand.
     A fireshield springs into existence around you.

(Where 'fs' is the Fireshield spell)

     > rp
     You point at Alayla with the index finger of your right hand.
     You shoot a firebolt at Alayla, scorching her stomach.

(Where 'sp' is the Firebolt spell)

     > rp
     You point at Alayla with the index finger of your right hand.
     You feel a surge of heat run through your right arm.

     > rf
     You close your right hand into a fist.
     Your body shimmers with heat for a moment.
     There is no magic to flush from yourself.

(Where 'ppf' is the Dissipate spell)

     > rc
     You clap your hands together.
     Your eyes flicker with flames for a moment.
     Your body does not require healing.

(Where 'fc' is the Consume the Flames spell).

The system is mainly used in regular combat rather than for spells,
although physical combat doesn't let you see what your opponent is
doing until they've actually performed the move - eg:

     > rw
     Ok.

     You whirl your shortsword around your body.

     > rw
     Ok.

     You perform the technique known as 'Circling Raptor'.
     You spin your shortsword around your body with blinding speed.

     > fd
     Ok.

     You crouch down into a low ducking position.

     > fk
     Ok.

     > rt
     Ok.

     You kick the prisoner's legs out from under her.

     You perform the technique known as 'Striking Hawk'.
     You spin your shortsword swiftly across the prisoner's neck,
     decapitating her!
     The prisoner's body goes limp.

     The dead prisoner crashes to the ground.

     The prisoner's severed head crashes to the ground.

Displaying an indicator of each attack before the move was performed
just ended up getting too spammy for real-time combat, particularly
when more than two fighters were involved.

--
KaVir.