[MUD-Dev] SOC Roll play vs. Role play

darksuit david at darksuit.com
Sun Sep 12 21:51:17 CEST 2004

Matthew Rick Wrote:

> Bubba and Boffo are players in Mud/muck/moo/m*.

>  1. Since Boffo is ultimately deciding how good his character is
>  at dueling whether or not he gets to do so explicitly (ie whether
>  he decides this by fighting a lot of duels and developing in game
>  dueling skills, or through a mush like player created story) is
>  the distinction between these systems a false one, if so, why is
>  this distinction perceived by so many, and what ultimately draws
>  so much derision from "role" players towards "roll" players?

I got into a conversation a while back where the person I was
talking to, believed that Role playing as they saw it was playing
the Role of the character such as the fighter, with the single
mindedness to kill as many Xxxx as possible. This didn't really sit
right with me. As I see it one of the chief distinctions between the
two is Motivation. The why question. It is what drives that person
or character to do what they do, to make the choices that they
make. Without the social interaction and choices betwen good or bad
those moral decisions, i don't think you can really call it Role
Playing. When people rely on how a character moves or acts solely
based on stats to determine the results then its nothing more than
Roll Playing, since your doing nothign more than Rolling the dice to
decide the outcome. A good Role Player would be able to do many
things to work his way through the duel. Does he fast talk, use his
intellgence to create something to help him out in the duel, etc. A
good example is the fight between D'Artagnan and not one but Three
Musketeers. In a pure roll playing enviorment D'Atagnan is swiss
cheese, however D'Artagnan is more than just stats, he is a
character and is able to work himself out of the situtation.

>  2. What, precisely, is the draw of a game with no rules (as I
>  perceive mush/moo style games to be, if this is not the case,
>  feel free to jump all over this and make me look like a fool, I
>  don't mind, I'm used to it)?

A game with less rules to hinder you is more of a story telling
experience. The thrill of telling of the story, its more of the pure
form of Role Playing. No Roll Playing.

--David True