[MUD-Dev] PHP Mud

Chris cwstewart at csupomona.edu
Tue Sep 14 07:33:57 CEST 2004

On September 9, 2004 Channing Jones Wrote:

> Would you suggest using an existing code base or writing from
> scratch?

I would suggest starting from scratch. Unless someone has already
built a PHP engine for text games (unlikely). Secondly, I would
suggest starting with this. Build your own engine (of sorts) so that
creation, editing and removing of plot lines is easy and doesn't
involve heavy PHP code changes.  Perhaps create a script language
which describes the world?

> Do you know any other PHP programmers that would be interested in
> this project. We could make it open-source.

Being one myself it sounds fun, but I have not the time for
it. However, were I to have the time I would be interested in either
watching and/or supporting its development. With that in mind its
important to create an environment where PHP programmers can easily
be incorporated into the project at different periods of time. A
great tool would be sourceforge.net (if you go open source).

Making sites to plug your new creation helps too. Anything that
would attract players will attract PHP programmers. However, it'll
be a long slow start by yourself more than likely. Open source
projects get support as their popularity increases for two reasons:
1) obvious enough is that more people reading about it increases the
chance that someone wishes to help. 2) as the project nears
completion more people will want to help because they want to
contribute to things which they think will actually finish and
become successful.

Chris "Diamonds" Stewart