[MUD-Dev] Dragon Empires is cancelled

Jim Purbrick Jpurbrick at climaxgroup.com
Tue Sep 14 15:38:01 CEST 2004

Daniel Harman wrote:

> Seems like they didn't have the expertise to get the serverside
> working properly.

They did, but they got him to work on the game design.

> I know one of the network programmers did post here a few times
> and he came from a university background having worked on this
> type of technology there.

Who? I don't remember posting on MUD-Dev until I was working on
Warhammer.

> I'm not convinced there is room for another big budget fantasy MMO
> at the moment anyway. Between WoW and EQ2 the market looks pretty
> sewn up.

I'd agree with that assessment. I think in both WHO and DEs case
there were problems and the market is looking a lot less attractive.

> It is very sad that both UK developed MMOs cancelled though, my
> dreams of working on an MMO here are thwarted :(

It does look grim in the UK at the moment. I hope I don't end up
with the dubious honour of having worked on all of the commercial
MMOs developed in the UK :-(