[MUD-Dev] DGN/TECH: exploiting/hacking in MMOGs - sources of info?

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Wed Sep 15 08:46:48 CEST 2004

John MacQueen wrote:

> That said in my experience the main "hacks" I've seen in the last
> couple of years have been... "speed hacks" where the operating
> system is tampered with making client side timing and clock
> signals inaccurate.

This is probably the most common hack. Just in the last weeks I've
heard reports of working speedhacks in World of Warcraft, Final
Fantasy XI and Dark Age of Camelot.

I also wonder why they are so common. It should be easy enough to
control this server side. You don't need to mantain the checks
constantly, the server could just make them randomly and simply
disconnect the player if something wrong is perceived. It should be
annoying enough to make the hack concretely useless.

We have ultra precise time synchronization on every PC, if we are
able to do this we should also be able to realize who's running too
fast.

-HRose / Abalieno