[MUD-Dev] Decision making...

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Thu Sep 16 00:52:18 CEST 2004

Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> "Mike Rozak" <Mike at mxac.com.au> writes:

>> At its core, monkey behavior is not that different from human
>> behavior. Perhaps fairness is built into our genes so that those
>> individuals that do not play by "the rules" (which are ultimately
>> beneficial for the group) end up being ostricized by the
>> group. Such rule-breaking individuals sound a lot like "griefers"
>> to me.

> Uhm... I thought weak individuals tend to be squeezed out... There
> is nothing fair about mother nature..?

Perhaps not about mother nature, but fairness is an important aspect
of primate life.  Primates, along with a large number of other
species, owe their survival to their communities, and individuals
who cannot participate in that community will soon be pushed out of
it -- where they will be weak, and easy prey.  An individual who
does not 'play fair' with other members of its community is a prime
candidate for being pushed out.

Maybe someone with an anthropology background can support or destroy
my statements?

--
bje