[MUD-Dev] Griefer repellant (Was Decision making...)

Chek Yang FOO chekyang at chekyang.com
Thu Sep 16 06:47:24 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> Has anyone every done a study (formal or informal) of VWs and
> noticed if there are any styles of VWs that griefers are
> particularly attracted to?

Well, I'm doing halfway in a 4 year formal study of grief play in
MMORPGs, and while I haven't come to the point where I can say with
conclusion the kind of VWs they're attracted to, the data 'so far'
seems to suggest that grief players are attracted to VWs where there
is easy prey (e.g. newbies, large disparity between player skill
levels with continual influx of new players), environments that
encourage or at least don't inhibit aggressive player to player
types of activity (e.g. PvP in an MMORPG), and VWs where enforcement
of rules are not so stringent (e.g. for MMORPGs, low game management
representation in-game, or game rules on aggressive play are
forgiving).

Very IMO.

CY