[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

richard at kavir.org richard at kavir.org
Fri Sep 17 10:23:51 CEST 2004

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q3/msg00796.php

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:30:57 -0700
Vincent Archer <archer at frmug.org> wrote:

> That led me to suggest a different model of levelling. It's called
> the "achievement model", because it caters essentially to
> achievers, of course, like most level-based systems.

> You can access level N+1 when, and only when, you have at least N
> achievements of level N or above.

[snip]

> Some players will also find themselves locked out of higher
> levels.  Unless they manage to master enough aspects of the game,
> it is physically impossible for them, no matter how long they can
> play per week, to access the higher end of the game (the elite
> syndrome: only "skilled" players can be of high level), which
> might discourage players.

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not convinced that it would
work as a replacement for the standard approach.  The problem as I
see it is that you're suggesting rewarding the more skilled players
by giving them even stronger characters - i.e., the better you are,
the better you become (a sort of reversed death spiral).  In any
sort of competitive game I think this is going to cause major
headaches, because it serves to widen the gap even further between
power levels.

However I think it would work very well as an addition to the
standard XP approach - a shortcut, if you like, for those with
sufficient player skill.  For example imagine a mud in which each
character had a number of weapon skills, which would normally be
increased through grind - you could also provide a fighting zone
where player could instead select trainers of different skill level
at any time they wished, and upon beating said trainer be instantly
advanced to a certain skill level in the appropriate weapon (if they
hadn't already reached it).

Thus I could spend several hours hacking my way through hordes of
goblins to improve my sword skill...or I could travel to the
fighting arena and select a swordmaster to fight against.  Defeating
a yellow-sash swordsman might increase my sword skill to 25%, while
a black-sash might increase it instantly to 100%.  If I was skilled
enough I could become swordmaster within an hour, but even the least
skilled of players would eventually have the option of catching
their character up with mine (although then, of course, I'd still
have the advantage of player-skill).

--
KaVir.