[MUD-Dev] State of Play Conference Invitation

Noveck, Beth bnoveck at nyls.edu
Mon Sep 20 17:02:29 CEST 2004

  - Conference                 -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2561.asp
  - Program                    -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2557.asp
  - Registration               -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2558.asp
  - Video                      -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2559.asp
  - Speakers                   -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2560.asp
  - Sponsors                   -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2674.asp
  - Hotel                      -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2682.asp
  - Maps & Directions          -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2681.asp
  - State of Play I Archives   -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2700.asp
  - Terra Nova - Official Blog -- http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2701.asp

The State of Play, an annual conference sponsored by New York Law
School and Yale Law School, explores the next frontier in the
evolution of cyberspace: virtual worlds.

Last year's inaugural event, "State of Play: Law, Games and Virtual
Worlds," introduced the emerging legal, economic, cultural and
sociological issues in these three-dimensional computer
environments.  Participants from a variety of disciplines discussed
the impact of virtual worlds on real world law and the rise of law
in virtual worlds.

"State of Play: Reloaded" continues the conversation.  It highlights
two themes: the role of intellectual property and governance in
virtual worlds.  Should we import copyright and trademark into
virtual spaces?  Can we exclude them?  What should be the
relationship between real and virtual world economies?  Should
legislatures protect virtual world property?  What are the
possibilities for using virtual spaces to practice the activities of
real world democracy?  Should virtual worlds be treated as separate
jurisdictions with their own evolving norms and forms of dispute
resolution?  What is the potential for using virtual worlds to
promote democracy and self-governance?

Please join us for The State of Play: Reloaded.

  http://www.nyls.edu/stateofplay

See also The State of Play I: Video Time Capsule

  http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2559.asp

Click here to Register:

  http://www.nyls.edu/pages/2558.asp

The Institute for Information Law & Policy and the Information
Society Project will be soliciting contributions and proposals for
next year's State of Play conference in October 2005.  We welcome
proposals for panels, papers, speakers and exhibits for next year's
event and will circulate a Call for Proposals after State of Play 2.
Suggestions should be sent to Mr. Chun Li at cli at nyls.edu