[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Tue Sep 21 00:53:22 CEST 2004

According to Corey Crawford:

> If you are going to such lengths, why not take out levels
> altogether? Why can't a character be "powerful" because of how
> it's played instead of what level the character is?

Because, as I said, a level is a good indicator, for other players,
of your ability to play. Or it's supposed to be. One can assume a
level 5 character can't play his character too well yet.  One trusts
a level 50 character has mastered his playstyle, knows the game, and
can be relied upon in a level-50 area.

Alas, in most games, that's not true. There's a difference in
Everquest between the player who levelled on an "XP highway" and the
player that did go into most dungeons, fought his way into the
depths of Lower Guk, went to Plane of Sky, and so on.

The XP highway is often more efficient, a lot safer, and above all,
more reliable. But if you don't force the player to confront many
variations of situations, he won't acquire play skills. It's like a
chess player that never sees anything played outside of D2-D4.  The
day someone starts by E2-E4, he doesn't know how to react.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)