[MUD-Dev] Putting the crawl to a halt

David Johansson ica_david at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 15:08:08 CEST 2004

In nearly all MUDs and MMOs there is always a way to increase your
health / mana regeneration (or whatever it is called in the game).
The way, is most of the time to sit, lie down or meditate which in
turn, hamsters your moving abilities.

I have always been a big fan of crawling through games, having
gauntlets, NPCs that chase you and exploration in general. Due to
the nature of always wanting to maximize income per hour, players
choose a location with plenty of monsters, sits down and proceeds to
kill in the area, to allow a few party members to "rest" while the
others fight.  Its a forced downtime, where you will have to twiddle
your thumbs and most people just spends their time making sandwiches
or surfing the web while this occurs.  A few breaks, is great in my
opinion, but preventing crawling, is not.

I am thinking about implementing a state of trance instead, where
you toggle your character into a zombie like trance, where he
regains his hitpoints and magic power faster, but is unable to fight
or perform magic while doing so and then add a few seconds delay to
get in/out of the trance.

This would result in players being able to keep moving, while
regaining their mana a little faster, with the drawback of not being
able to fight.

I have been flipping and turning the idea and I cannot see any
drawbacks from the old sit / lie down system and the positive effect
of being able to move.

If anyone can punch a hole in my idea, I would very much appreciate
it before I implement it =)