[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Tue Sep 28 18:04:46 CEST 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> Mike Rozak wrote:
>> Matt Mihaley wrote:

>>> The problem is that most players -want- a grind, whether they
>>> know it or not.

>> Or perhaps players attracted to current MMORPGs are the type that
>> likes the grind? How many people dislike the grind, know that
>> "MMORPG => grind", and stay away?

> Yep, fair point. I don't know, and I don't think anyone does.

Or even players that like grinds, know that "MMORPG => monthly
charge", and stay away...

My brother is a great example.  He's a classic stats-oriented
RPGer--has been since he and I encountered D&D in the late 70s.  He
rolls up characters the way some people do crossword puzzles.  We've
talked about MMORPGs, and his only response is, "they look like
great fun, but why should I pay $15 a month for it?"  This is
someone with shelves of RPG rulebooks and whatnot, so I don't think
it's the actual economic cost that's the issue.  But he's very
focussed on the revenue model: his model for gaming is "I buy a
game, then I play it as much as I want.  I buy expansion sets, then
I play them as much as I want.  This subscription thing is just a
scam to get into my checking account every month.  I don't buy play
time, I buy gaming stuff."

So he plays Diablo on his desktop with AIM running on his laptop.
This has caused me to wonder how much "multiplayer solo" gaming is
going on.

Amanda Walker