[MUD-Dev] Dynamic Descriptions

Bernard Graham bernardgraham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 06:37:22 CEST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 6:01 AM, Peter Keeler <scion at divineright.org> wrote:

> The downside to using a text based engine is that the engine needs
> a large vocabulary in order to generate interesting text, and it's
> hard to tell it what all those words mean. It seems to me that you
> need some kind of a database for the engine to look up the next
> biggest or smallest kind of thing in the progression and the
> conditions that must be met to progress to the next thing.  Then
> you have to populate that database with data about everything that
> exists.  Certainly not impossible, but it could easily become a
> very, very large project.

Indeed: A large database of textual information.  I think it is time
such a DB is built.  I mean you only need that DB once and from
there it is click-and-generate.  Which is where I want to get to.

I think this is the next logical step for gaming, not just muds - no
spending of hours to create hand-crafted content.  Just generate it
(because eventually you will have template/models for everything)
and focus on the interesting stuff...

Anyways...