[MUD-Dev] Looking for a Magic System (inspired by Bartle's book)

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 4 23:42:52 CEST 2005

erik <erik at gopetslive.com> wrote:

> The Question: Does anyone have a magic system or a scrawling of a
> list that they wish would get implemented either for free or for a
> fee provided I like it?

> I am not looking for anything crazy complicated super serious... I
> am looking for something cute and fun, like drag a empty potion
> bottle + green spider venom + moon dust = slow or some such. But
> in a way that variations in ingrediants provide variations in
> results...

You're talking about something I recently posted regarding
"Atomistic Creation".

It seems to me you need to know:

  1.  Do you have a list of all the spell ingredients possible
  within your world?

  2.  What kinds of effects are you looking for?  Do you have a list
  of all the possible spells?

  3.  What are the effects possible from all the possible spells?
  i.e. lowered hp, raised armor, increased speed, see in the dark,
  etc.

Each spell component will need to carry the "effects properties"
possible by using that particular component.  Then you crunch all
the property values together when you cast the spell and apply the
pluses and minuses at that time.

The hard part is figuring out how many permutations you want to
allow.  The more stuff you have, the more combinations you can make.
The more varied the possibilities, the more stuff you need.

Jaycen Rigger
www.urilia.com