[MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurtthe MMOcommunity?

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Sat Aug 6 19:33:56 CEST 2005

John Buehler wrote:
> Michael Hartman writes:

>>  Since gear is truly the only type of "levelling up" once you hit

>> the level cap, making raiding the only way to obtain the best
>> gear would be like saying at level X, the only way to earn xp and
>> gain levels is on raids. People would flip out if the situation
>> was presented as clearly as that. Having to raid for gear is no
>> different.

> I understand your point about not making a single experience the
> only thing available once the maximum level is reached.  I don't
> understand the comment about the absurdity of adding the Trials of
> Atlantis in Dark Age of Camelot.  Isn't something like Trials of
> Atlantis exactly what you want?  More advancement (which is
> optional), new items, etc?  There were scads of new items to
> obtain all through Atlantis.  It was an area just full of stuff
> for level 50s to do, staged in the same way that the rest of the
> game is - by levels.

The Trials of Atlantis expansion to DAoC was a 500+ hour PvE
requirement if you wanted to ever be competitive again in RvR.  For
many people, RvR was the fun end-game activity they participated
in. You did not HAVE to RvR, but truly, RvR was the most unique
aspect of DAoC.

Now, when you have a huge percentage of your population who truly
loves the current end-game RvR/PvP part of the game, you don't come
out with an expansion that requires hundreds and hundreds of hours
of PvE if they wish to continue participating in RvR. And yes, the
items and "master levels" from Trials of Atlantis were so powerful
that if you did not obtain them, you would get utterly slaughtered
in RvR.

> I'm curious to know what you'd *like* to see at the 'end game'
> levels.

I would like to see more options than "join an Uber Raid Guild of 14
year olds so you can press the "1" button for 5 hours and hope you
win a piece of loot when its over."

--
Michael Hartman, J.D. (http://www.thresholdrpg.com)
President & CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.