[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Story detection

Boyle, Paul PBoyle at maxis.com
Fri Aug 12 01:39:56 CEST 2005

I've seen some limited plot generation stuff in MUDs and the broader
gaming world.  Most of it has fallen along the lines of mad-lib like
quests with a few bolder story generation attempts in the AI
research field.

However, I haven't really seen any attempt to detect the story a
player is trying to tell within a game.  Façade does it a little,
trying to fit your plot contributions into the overall plot of the
one act play they tell.  And there are plenty of demonstrations of
machinma in operation where the player can tell their story without
the game really being aware of it.  However, what I'm looking for is
work on detecting that a recognizable story is being told by the
player, so that the game can then interact with the player on that
level.  Something capable of correlating more than a single event or
state, not just embedded branch points or plot triggers.

My hope is that you guys can give me some idea how hard this is,
even in a limited context domain like a game.

Of course, I wouldn't be asking if I didn't have my own ideas, but
I'd rather not pollute the potential discussion until it gets off
the ground. :-)