[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Story detection

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Fri Aug 12 16:57:24 CEST 2005

Paul Boyle wrote:

> ... what I'm looking for is work on detecting that a recognizable
> story is being told by the player, so that the game can then
> interact with the player on that level.  Something capable of
> correlating more than a single event or state, not just embedded
> branch points or plot triggers.

> My hope is that you guys can give me some idea how hard this is,
> even in a limited context domain like a game.

We have done some work in this area.  I can't tell you much about it
beyond that.  I can tell you that this is an official Hard Problem,
sitting somewhere between, say, MMO server design and natural
language understanding in difficulty.  We have some ideas for
skinning this cat too, but I can't really share them right now.

Mike Sellers