[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: Emergent Behaviors spawnedfrom...]

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Fri Aug 12 17:08:19 CEST 2005

John Buehler wrote:

> It's time to define "game", because that word is used
> axiomatically all through this exchange, and I have no idea what
> is meant by it.

>   game == decision-making == interaction == competition

Most people include "meaningful decision-making" in their definition
of games and gameplay.  Some include that there must be rules and an
end (the famous game vs. toy controversy that seems pretty
irrelevant to me).

But interaction does not necessarily lead to competition; in fact
equating these is a classic male core-gamer aesthetic.  Caillois
lumped this type of play under 'agon' (agonistic) gameplay,
separating it from alea (games of chance), mimicry (simulation,
immersion, playing house), and ilinx (physical games).  Meaningful
decision-making takes place in all of these (and games may and often
do take from multiple of these categories).

> Amanda Walker just quoted a URL that very much supports what I've
> been trying to say, and I'm curious as to your read:

>   http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001299.php?page=2

> Is the data on that page consistent with your view of how games
> entertain us?

Nick's data is excellent.  It's really no surprise that more women
don't play games, given the narrow, achievement- and
aggression-oriented focus we give to those that reach the market.
When a game that values relationships or immersion over achievement
(e.g., The Sims) does hit the market, people are astounded at how
well it does... and then go back to making what they were making
before.

Mike Sellers