[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: Emergent Behaviors spawnedfrom...]

Michael Hartman mlist at thresholdrpg.com
Thu Aug 18 01:01:55 CEST 2005

Sean Howard wrote:

> Are all muslims suicide bombers? Do all parents hate evolution?
> Are all Americans conservative? Are all WoW players 13 years old?
> We define people by their loudest members, and so very rarely does
> it represent a true spectrum of ideas and beliefs.

That was a great summary and your examples were spot on.

The only way to get a good idea how your players feel about things
is to actively seek feedback from a variety of player types. This
should be somewhat akin to the way scientific polling is done. You
need to analyze your player population and figure out the different
types/groups of players you have. Then talk to them all and make
SURE you get feedback from them all (different types of players will
be more forthcoming with feedback).

If you do not take this very involved, active approach you will get
a very warped sense of how your players feel about the game (or
specific features).

--
Michael Hartman, J.D. (http://www.thresholdrpg.com)
President & CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.