[MUD-Dev] DGN: Random questions about griefers

Lydia Leong lwl at black-knight.org
Fri Aug 26 22:09:17 CEST 2005

On Aug 26,  7:48am, "Mike Rozak" wrote:

> You mention "IP banning". How useful is that? Don't people's IP's
> tend to change from session to session?

Most consumer ISPs today use dynamic addressing. This means that the
IPs will usually but not always change over time. Moreover, the
address pools using for dynamic addressing are usually quite large,
which means that banning the necessary range of IPs generally means
that you'll ban legitimate players as well.

>> This would help by cutting down the number of IPs we'd need to
>> ban to ensure a griefer stays away. Proxy detection is a matter
>> of making a connection back to their IP on well-known proxy
>> ports. I believe blacklists do exist, though I haven't really
>> looked into it.

> Do you know of anyplace on the web that has more detail about
> this?

Proxy lists are generally maintained for people interested in
anti-spam defense.

However, a public proxy is only going to be useful to a banned
griefer if your game uses HTTP as a transport mechanism. If I recall
correctly, you're not doing a Web-based game, so this won't really
apply to you.

	-- Lydia