[MUD-Dev] Attack System

Dhiego Ramos dhiegorp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:53:15 CEST 2005

Hello everybody,

Well, I`m not developing a Mud, but I think you will help me.

I'm developing a web-based mmog (strategy game) and I wan't to know
your opinions about the attack system.

Each unit (mage, sentinel, etc...) have attributes, "MAGICK"per
example. Each point in magick gives an dice (10 faces) to roll. If a
player wants that his 10 mages cast an spell, and this spell have 3D
(3 DICES) to roll (because the player have 3 points in magick), than
mages will roll 30 dices.

And the player (the defender) have 5 points of magick and 5 mages to
defend the attack, so the defender have 25 dices to roll.

The basic formula of the system is:

  Sum (all dices rolled by attackers) / number of attackers
    - Sum(all dices rolled by defenders)/number of defenders.

If the number resulted is POSITIVE, than, the program calculate the
percentage of defenders that the resulted number of the formula
above represents. If the number resulted is NEGATIVE, than defenders
won, and the defenders have the chance to attack.  The percentage
generated by the formula represents the number of defenders that has
died in attack

I want to know your opinion about this.  I`m using this formula in
my game called LodgeWars(c) http://www.codeexile.net/.