[MUD-Dev] MMO Quest: Why they're still lousy

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 20:00:04 CET 2005

Paul Schwanz wrote:
> David Kennerly wrote:

>> Unlike programmed code, written narratives are rarely
>> object-oriented.

> You've suddenly made me curious as to what they would look like if
> they were.

> I wonder if you could write a number of smaller quest-lets, and
> then use some sort of mechanic to string them together into larger
> quests.  Perhaps some sort of path-finding or goal-oriented quest
> management system could do the trick.

Allegedly, FreeSpeak does something like this:

  http://www.igda.org/writing/InteractiveStorytelling.htm

I mentioned a similar system in my first article for
grimwell.com. As far as I know, nothing like this has ever actually
been done in a retail game, so there could be all kind of unforeseen
hazards.