[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 20, Issue 16

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Sun Feb 6 03:06:29 CET 2005

Kiztent Hatepriest wrote:

>> That comes at 40/60. Especially when the quests you find are 80%
>> "(Elite)" and require nearly a full group.

> I must be playing a different version of WoW.

It is the law of MMORPGs that no matter what flaw someone points
out, there will always be someone to say "BUT NOT ME."

This is actually a measureable fact that at lvl 40 the percentage of
(elite) quests that require not just a duo, but at least 3-5 people
in a group is enormous.

It gets to the point where even a full group can at best hope to do
quests equal to their level. If it takes 5 level 44 people to do a
level 42 quest, it shouldn't be called a level 42 quest- elite or
not.

> There are a lot MORE elite quests, but by splitting my time
> between Tanaris, Feralas, Hinterlands and closing some
> Stranglethorn stuff off I'm doing fine.

It is a good 20-30 minutes MINIMUM travel time between each of those
locations.

character rides a griffon or a boat, playing for 30 minutes, and
then spending another 20-30 minutes travelling. That's poor design.

The WoW quest system works great until about level 40 where, as you
have noted, you have to cover the entire world repeatedly. Some
single quests even require such travels. The problem is, that travel
is neither fun nor engaging.

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.