[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Player pyramid

Jim Purbrick jimpurbrick at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 19:48:18 CET 2005

Mike Rozak <Mike at mxac.com.au> wrote:

> A few days ago I thought of an interesting player model, which
> organizes players into a pyramid-like shape:<snip> The model
> exhibits a conflict amongst the players: Players at the base of
> the pyramid DON'T really need/want any players above
> them.<snip>. Players at the top of the pyramid NEED players below
> them...

I think this is spot on Mike.

The trick is to make the actions of those at the top of the pyramid
an enjoyable backdrop to those playing at the bottom. They don't
need the players above them, but if observing their machinations are
fun to watch or change the world in interesting ways then they may
be willing to play the pawns in the game.

Even if you're effectively playing a single player CRPG it's still
more fun to think that the plot was crafted by the actions of others
rather than being predefined, all other things being equal.

Jim.