[MUD-Dev] [bus][des] Anarchy Online and the free MMORPG...

Koster, Raph rkoster at soe.sony.com
Tue Feb 8 18:36:55 CET 2005

Douglas Goodall wrote:
> Adam martin wrote:

>> In fact, thinking about it now, I would go as far as to say that
>> AO's twinking is what people like Dan and I have been crying out
>> for every time Raph says that players don't want a challenge

Whoa, whoa, I didn't say players don't want a challenge! I have said
that during play, if there's a challenging and a non-challenging way
to accomplish the same goal, they'll choose the less risk, which is
merely a sane thing to do. I've also said that most players ask for
less risk in gameplay in order to advance their personal agenda,
which is also a very normal thing to do.

Players will sabotage their own fun in this way, but it's for very
logical reasons. Players want a challenge, but they're also not
stupid: they will choose to maximize reward rather than risk.

-Raph