[MUD-Dev] [bus][des] Anarchy Online and the free MMORPG...

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Tue Feb 8 23:15:51 CET 2005

Douglas Goodall wrote:

> One risk is that this degree of twinking is only fun if you figure
> out how to do it. It's not so fun to people who haven't figured it
> out or who can't get some necessary twinking items that are rare
> drops.

I have a corollary to this, and it was one of the main things that
led me to quit AO many years ago.

Once you know about twinking and get good at it, you HAVE to do
it. It feeds on itself.

Using a variety of planning tools (NanoNanny, my own spreadsheets,
and good old pen and paper) I was able to do the 50+ level implant
game. The problem is, once you gain a few levels (as you mention)
the reward from the twinking diminishes and you need a new fix. You
need to squeeze in the next stage of implants. This means you have
to go through the whole crazy biz of finding people to give you the
right buffs and the right time so you can change your
clothes/gear/implants just long enough to get the real
clothes/gear/implants in.

Figuring it out the first time is an exciting challenge. After that,
it is the same old hassle. And once you have done it once, you
simply cannot NOT do it, because then you know what you are missing
out on.

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.