[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: WoW quests and content

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 17:49:48 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:02:43 +0000 (GMT), Johan A
<asteroid at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> WoW is so quest dependent that if you want to run around and just
> explore and kill whatever you happen to come across you will be
> penalised for it. Quests give very good XP. As refreshing as WoW's
> quest oriented gameplay is, I feel my path is very controlled,
> just like a single player game. It is however nice to have things
> to do while soloing but it is almost too set in stone. Questing is
> not an option, it is as much forced as teaming is in games like
> EQ2 if you want to make decent progress.

Grinding on green mobs is almost always better XP/hour than
questing, unless you get a burst of kill quests that are in the same
area. People who are optimizing their play for shortest-time-to-60
will ignore quests other than those with item rewards that they
need.

(They're also good for raising faction, which is a prerequisite for
some later-game perks, but that's a secondary form of advancement
that most people don't seek to optimize until they've hit the level
cap.)

Mike