[MUD-Dev] DGN: Mudflation as antibody of a "stain development"

Bad Mojo mojo at rps.net
Fri Feb 25 14:43:06 CET 2005

HRose wrote:

> In the case of World of Warcraft I preached since August that
> their choice to divide the servers by timezones would make the
> overcrowding problems more serious. This problem isn't trivial as
> it seems, there are a large number of implications. What was the
> result? The result was that what I predicted was ignored till
> Blizzard got swamped in the problem and had to start to suggest
> the players to log in servers that do not correspond to their
> timezone and relative peak times, disrupting directly their plan
> and even a few important design implications, like the 24h clock,
> GM support and scheduled downtimes.

This problem of overcrowding was not caused by the timezone servers,
but by a breakdown in their server recommendation system. When new
players were logging in for the first time and picking a server to
log into, a load balancer system was in place to direct people to
the lowest population server first. This broke and was stuck on a
limited number of servers for several hours during the first day of
logins. This aspect of the game, which was never beta tested (and I
believe a last minute addition as the game was flying out the door),
was what caused so much of the overcrowding problems during WoW's
first few weeks.

I could barely bring myself to read the rest of your rant, my
apologies. Sometimes this mailing list is no better than the forums
for any particular MMORPG.

--
Bad Mojo
MojoZilla <http://www.rps.net/mojo>