[MUD-Dev] Hosting questions

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Fri Jul 1 02:34:03 CEST 2005

Scott Jennings wrote:

> Well, is your server running under Windows or Unix? If Unix, you
> won't need much more than a shell account no matter what; if the
> server host has half a brain you won't be ABLE to crash the
> server, even if you wanted to.

> If Windows, you can use VNC or similar programs to run the machine
> remotely, but if your server hard-locks the machine you will
> probably need someone on call to press the shiny red emergency
> button.

I run WinNT (which many disdain... Is there MTF evidence that NT as
a server is less stable, or is it anti-Microsoft rhetoric?). I don't
expect to hard lock the machine.

My biggest concern is a crash that will GP fault my application on
the server, with said GP fault potentially losing the last few lines
of debugging information I log, and me not being able to trace the
fault. James Turner suggested I use visual studio's remote
debugging, which should work fairly well, although I'll need to
research the details.

Because most of my server code is script with reference-counted
data, the biggest crash culprit is an out-of-memory caused by too
many strings/objects being created. I can add some extra safety code
for that. Another cuprit is users overloading my input/output
queues.

Anything else that I should watch out for?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au