[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Fri Jul 1 20:42:27 CEST 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 10:50 AM, Tony Hoyt wrote:

> A lot of people I know, seem to perfer a more "Time == Reward"
> Model though instead of a "Skill == Reward" model since it's a
> game.

Generally, I find that this is more true for people with a lot of
time on their hands.  As a forty-something professional who snatches
gaming time on the weekends and occasional hotel evenings while on
business trips, I find that "time = reward" models don't do a lot
for me.  However, since I have a lot of accumulated skills, I enjoy
"skill = reward" quite a bit more.

Note that the most popular online games overall (those dinky little
flash card and puzzle games) are all about skill, with no dependence
on time.

Amanda Walker